Ben Means comes from the old school of cowboys and cow dogs. His standard for selecting and training dogs is based on the Code of the West.
“Write it in your heart. Stand by the code, and it will stand by you. Ask no more and give no less than honesty, courage, generosity and fairness.”
Ben developed his training program based on sound, common-sense training methods cohered with over 55 years of experience. He has been one of the leading cattle dog trainers in this country for nearly all those years. Over the years he has trained or helped people train many of the herding breeds and various cross-bred herding dogs with his methods. Ben appreciates a good working stockdog regardless of the breed, particularly cattle-working Border Collies.
“WHATEVER YOU DO, WORK AT IT WITH ALL YOUR HEART…”
TRAINING (Call to see if Ben’s still “retired” from training.)
- We take a select number of outside dogs for training.
- Only Border Collies or BC crosses these days – remember Ben’s “retired”*.
- $400 / 30 days Deposit required.
- Ben will only keep them 30 – 45 days – they aren’t just here for that amount of time, he works them each day.
- You must make transportation arrangements for the dog to and from our place.
- Our definition of a started dog, depending on the dog’s aptitude, is one that has all his commands on him within 30 – 45 days, obeys those commands, and has been trained on cattle.
- Ben believes in starting them right with a concrete foundation on which to build with working experience.
Call now to see if Ben is taking outside dogs. 918-784-2643
Please call Ben on the telephone rather than email to schedule your dog for training.
We also have The Perfect Stock Dog Training DVD if you wish to train your own dog, see Ben’s training in action, or just want to learn more.